Employer returns for the quarter 1 January 2021 to 31 March 2021 will be available from Monday 29 March. Before completing your employer return, make sure you're registered with QLeave. Once you're registered you can follow the steps below to submit your return.
We are running webinars that will step employers through the quarterly return process. Click here to book an online session.
Steps to complete your employer return
If you didn’t engage any eligible workers between 1 January and 31 March 2021, you will need to submit a nil return. To do this, click here to complete the return form.
- On the form, tell us you didn't engage eligible workers this quarter by selecting No.
- Tick the box to confirm you didn't engage any eligible workers.
- Complete the Declaration section of the form. (You don't need to attach a spreadsheet if you didn't engage eligible workers.)
- Click here to download the employer return spreadsheet. The file will appear in the taskbar at the bottom of the screen.
- Save the spreadsheet as an .xls .csv file in the following format: Your11DigitABN_2021-3.xls or .csv (e.g.: 12345678910_2021-3.xls or .csv)
Please note, you may lose the data if you don’t save a copy of the spreadsheet onto your file drive.
Click here to view the data you'll need to enter in the spreadsheet or follow the steps below. Samples of the data required in the spreadsheet columns can be seen below.
- Worker number (column A): Leave this field blank when completing your return for the first time.
- Worker name (columns B-D): Only the first and last name are required. Leave middle name blank if the worker doesn't have a middle name.
- Date of birth (column E): Enter the worker's date of birth as dd/mm/yyyy
- Address (columns F-H): Enter the worker's address details. In column F, enter their street number and street name on one line.
- Mobile (column I): Enter the worker's 10-digit mobile number starting with 04. Do not use any spaces.
- Email (column J): Enter the worker's email address.
- Start date (column K): Enter the date the worker became eligible for the portable long service leave scheme within your organisation. For your first return, this will be 1 January 2021 for continuing workers or a date after this if they started working for your organisation after 1 January 2021.
- Termination date (column L): Only required if the worker stopped working for your during the quarter. Enter date worker was terminated (or date no longer performing eligible work). The date entered must be within the return period.
- Gross ordinary wages (column M): Enter the amount the worker earned for their ordinary hours of work. This includes over-award payments, shift loadings, penalty rates and allowances. It does not include overtime payments. Do not enter decimal places or symbols (e.g.'$'). Click here for more information about calculating ordinary wages.
- Industrial instrument type (column N): Enter one of these types: Award or Agreement or Employment contract.
- Industrial award name (column O): Only required if "Award" is selected as the Industrial instrument type.
- Award classification (column P): Only required if "Award" was selected as the Industrial instrument type (e.g. Level 4—pay point 4).
- Agreement name (column Q): Only required if "Agreement" was selected as the Industrial instrument type.
- Work type (column R): Enter one of these types: Full time or Part time or Casual
- Annual rate of pay (column S): Enter the worker's hourly rate of pay (including all applicable amounts outlined under ordinary wages) x 38 hours x 52 weeks. Do not enter decimal places or symbols (e.g.'$').
- Community service type (column T): enter the appropriate code (as shown in the table below) for the type of community service the worker provides. If the worker performs more than one type of community service, please separate the numbers with a comma (e.g. 6, 21, 29)
|Code||Community service type||Code||Community service type|
|1||Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community Services||16||Foster care and out-of-home care service|
|2||Accommodation support services||17||Home and community care services|
|3||Advocacy services||18||Homelessness support services|
|4||Alcohol and other drug services||19||Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex services|
|5||Child safety and support services||20||Mental health services|
|6||Community development services||21||Migrant and multicultural support service|
|7||Community education services||22||Offenders transitioning services|
|8||Community legal services||23||Respite services|
|9||Counselling services||24||Seniors community support services|
|10||Disability emergency response services||25||Social housing services|
|11||Disability support services||26||Violence prevention services|
|12||Employment services||27||Women’s services|
|13||Family and domestic violence services||28||Youth justice services|
|14||Family day care services||29||Youth support services|
|15||Financial counselling services|
Complete the form fields
Click here to submit your return to QLeave using the online form.
- Enter your 6 digit QLeave employer number. It starts with 501 and was included in the email we sent about completing your return. If you don’t have the email or the number, please leave this field blank.
- Enter your organisation’s 11 digit ABN number. Please don’t use any spaces between the digits. If you have more than one ABN you'll need to submit a separate return and spreadsheet. Please note, this is a mandatory field, so you won’t be able to submit the form if you haven’t filled this in.
- Enter the Legal Entity name for your organisation. Please note, this isn't your trading name.
On the right side of the form, there's a link back to these steps. Click on the link if you need to view these steps again.
Upload your spreadsheet
- Tell us if you engaged eligible workers during the quarter. To upload your completed spreadsheet, select Yes.
- Another field will now show up. This is where you will attach your spreadsheet return. Click on the Choose File button.
- Once you've clicked on the Choose File button, you will see your file explorer screen. Find the folder that contains your saved spreadsheet. Double click on the spreadsheet file that you want to attach.
- You will now see the spreadsheet file you selected sitting in the form field.
Please remember your attachment must have the .xls or .csv extension.
Complete the declaration and submit the form
- Complete the declaration by selecting Yes if you're authorised to act on behalf of your organisation.
- Enter your first and last name.
- Enter your phone number.
- Enter your email address. We'll send your invoice for the levy due to the email address you enter here.
- Enter the date you're submitting the return.
- Click Submit.
Once you've submitted the form you'll see a confirmation pop up on your screen. We'll also send you an email with a confirmation of the details that you submitted.
- We'll email an invoice for the levy due within 7 business days of the return being submitted.
Please note, we won't send any invoices until after Tuesday 9 April to allow for the Easter long weekend.
- You can pay the levy by credit card or EFT using the payment link on the invoice.
- Your workers will be registered with QLeave after your return is submitted and the levy is paid. We’ll contact your workers by June to let them know they’re registered, and explain how they can view their service record.
What if I make a mistake?
If you realise you've made a mistake on the spreadsheet you've submitted, please:
- Download a new spreadsheet template.
- Complete and save the spreadsheet to your computer.
- Submit another online form and attach the updated spreadsheet.
- Once we receive your second spreadsheet we'll use this as the final return. If we've already issued an invoice, we'll email an adjustment note for levy due.