Who & what is covered?

Who is eligible?

Workers in Queensland’s community services industry who:

  • perform community services work, or
  • support, supervise or manage the provision of community services.

This includes workers who:

  • are engaged as a full-time, part-time or casual employee
  • are engaged under a contract for service, including labour hire workers
  • operate as a sole trader.

Employers who engage eligible workers must register with QLeave.

Find out more about who needs to be registered with QLeave.

Community service work covered by the scheme

From the Community Services Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 2020:

The “community services industry” is the industry in which entities provide community services in Queensland.  Types of “community services” as prescribed by the Act are:

  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community services
  • Accommodation support services
  • Advocacy services
  • Alcohol and other drug services
  • Child safety and support services
  • Community development services
  • Community education services
  • Community legal services
  • Counselling services
  • Disability emergency response services
  • Disability support services
  • Employment services
  • Family and domestic violence services
  • Financial counselling services
  • Foster care and out-of-home care services
  • Home and community care services
  • Homelessness support services
  • Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex services
  • Mental health services
  • Migrant and multicultural support services
  • Offenders transitioning services
  • Respite services
  • Seniors community support services
  • Social housing services
  • Violence prevention services
  • Women’s services
  • Youth justice services
  • Youth support services

Who is not eligible?

Some community services workers are not eligible to join QLeave.

These include:

  • federal, state and local government workers
  • workers engaged to perform work unrelated to the purpose of providing community services
  • workers in standalone childcare, family day care and early childhood education centres, kindergartens and school-based childcare services. Click here for further guidance on the inclusion of childcare workers in the scheme.
  • workers employed in a nursing home or retirement village operated by a standalone aged care provider or service.

You're not required to register with QLeave if you only engage workers who aren't eligible for the scheme.

Find out more about registering eligible workers.