Employer obligations

1. Register

If you're an employer in the building and construction industry, you must register with QLeave if you:

  • employ eligible workers in Queensland
  • are a sole trader or member of a partnership and employ workers on wages to do building and construction work in Queensland.

Please note, it's a legislative requirement to register with QLeave if you're liable. Click here to view more information on registering with QLeave.

2. Inform us of your workers' service each year

It's a legislative requirement that employers give details to QLeave about their workers' service at the end of each financial year. To do so, please complete a Worker Service Return.

In June each year, we'll remind you that your return is due for lodgement by 31 July.

You can lodge your Worker Service Return online using QLeave's online services. Online lodgement is quick and easy, and you'll receive almost instant confirmation that your return has been successfully processed.

Click here to view more information on Worker Service Returns.

3. Advise us of new and terminating workers

You're required to advise QLeave as soon as possible when:

  • starting a new worker
  • terminating a worker.

If your annual returns are up-to-date, you can also update your workers' service for the current financial year online.

Click here to view more information on advising QLeave of new and terminating workers.

Click here to view more information on adding service for workers in the current financial year (outside of the annual return period).

4. Books and records

QLeave conducts random inspections of registered employers' books and records to check compliance with their obligations.

Click here to view more information on book and record keeping requirements.

5. Long service leave claims

Workers, who are employed by the same employer for ten or more continuous years, may be entitled to long service leave paid by the employer under the Industrial Relations Act 2016. Workers with an entitlement can take leave paid by the employer or receive a payment from QLeave.

If you pay long service leave to a worker under the Industrial Relations Act 2016, you may claim reimbursement from QLeave for some, or all, of the payment made to the worker.

Click here to view more information on long service leave claims.

6. Keep your contact details up-to-date

Make sure you advise us if you change your address or contact details. You can do this online or by emailing members@qleave.qld.gov.au