Claim back long service leave payments

Paying long service leave under the Industrial Relations Act 2016

Workers, who are employed by the same employer for ten or more continuous years, may be entitled to long service leave paid by the employer under the Industrial Relations Act 2016. The portable long service leave scheme doesn't replace an employer's obligation to pay long service leave to their worker/s.

Claim reimbursement for long service leave paid to a worker

QLeave may reimburse you for some, or all, of the payment you make to the worker. You must lodge your claim for reimbursement to QLeave within three months of the day you paid long service leave to the worker. The payment is calculated in accordance with the legislation and is based on the wages declared for the individual worker.

To ensure you receive the maximum amount reimbursed, you need to include an Employer Return detailing service in the most recent quarter and the levy payment for the worker up to the date of leave, especially if the worker is retiring or resigning from the company.

Employers can apply for reimbursement by completing an Employer Claim form. Contact QLeave if you would like a hard copy posted to you.

For us to process an employer reimbursement, we require proof that you made the long service leave payment to the worker. A copy of the pay-slip indicating long service leave paid, or an extract from the payroll system confirming payment should be attached to the claim form.

Click here to complete the form to claim reimbursement from QLeave.