Frequently asked questions

About the Scheme

What is QLeave?

The Contract Cleaning Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 2005 (the Act) provides a fair and efficient system of long service leave payments for workers in the Queensland contract cleaning industry.

Payments are based on service to the industry rather than ten years’ service to one employer.

Can I claim back long service leave payments that I've made to my workers?

Yes. If you pay a worker's long service leave under the Industrial Relations Act 2016, you can claim reimbursement for long service you have recorded with QLeave.

We calculate the payment in accordance with the legislation and base it on the wages declared for the individual worker. You must make an application for reimbursement within three months of the date you paid leave to the worker. Click here to read more about making a claim.

About registration

How do I register my workers?

You can register your workers with QLeave when you complete your quarterly return.

You have three options when adding a new worker:

  • add registered worker - use this option to add a worker who is already registered with QLeave. You will need their QLeave worker number and date of birth to do this. We'll contact the worker to advise that you've added them.
  • add returning worker - use this option to add a worker you have previously employed. You can select the worker from the list of your past workers or search for them using their name of QLeave worker number. We'll contact the worker to advise that you've added them.
  • add new worker - use this option to add a brand new worker, who doesn't have a QLeave registration. We'll contact the worker to advise them that they're now registered with the scheme.

Your workers can log in to the worker portal to check their service is recorded correctly.

In the future, I'll be engaging only casual staff to work a few days here and there. With no permanent staff, do I still need to stay registered as an employer?

Yes. If you engage a new worker for five or more days in a return period, you must include the worker on your return and pay the corresponding levy.

If I cease to be an employer in the industry, how do I cancel my registration?

To ensure your registration is cancelled you need to do the following:

  1. Complete your final return and make payment as normal. Make sure you complete the ‘Date Terminated’ box for all workers giving the last date each of your workers was engaged.
  2. Log in to the online portal. From the options provided in the left-hand menu, click I Want To Cancel my Registration. Alternatively, you can contact us for help.

About employer returns, wages and levies

If I’m still engaging workers (that is, they’re still ‘on the books’), but they didn’t earn any wages during a particular return period, do I still need to submit an Employer Return?

Yes. You must always submit a return if you have eligible workers, even if they haven’t worked during a quarter. Submit the return by the due date and show zero dollars have been paid to each worker (a 'NIL' return). Click here for instructions.

What options are available to pay the levy?

You can make your payment in the following ways:

Click here to find out more about making payments.

Do I have to pay the levy on annual leave payments, leave loading and termination payments?

Yes and No. Yes - Under the Act, over-award payments, weekend and public holiday penalty rates, most allowances and holiday pay are included in the definition of 'ordinary wages'. No - you do not pay a levy on termination pay or leave loading.

How do I calculate the levy for a subcontractor when their invoices include GST and minor materials?

The levy is calculated at 0.75% of the labour component of the invoice, excluding the cost of minor materials and GST.

How is the levy rate determined?

The levy rate is actuarially assessed. From 1 July 2005 to 31 December 2012, the levy rate was 2% of ordinary wages. The Board must appoint an Actuary at least every 2 years to investigate the adequacy of the levy rate among other things. The actuary undertakes an investigation using a set of specific formulae based on the results of industry study which include identification of the number of employers, the number of workers, ordinary wages, how many workers might be eligible to claim a long service leave entitlement and other factors. After the Board receives the actuary's report it makes a recommendation to the Minister. The Queensland Government then determines a suitable levy rate based on the Board's recommendation(s).

In response to actuarial advice indicating that the Scheme is in a sound financial position, the levy rate has been reduced for service accrued during the following periods:

  1. 2% 1 July 2005 - 31 Dec 2012
  2. 1.7% 1 January 2013 - 30 June 2015
  3. 1.3% 1 July 2015 - 30 June 2016
  4. 1% from 1 July 2016
  5. 0.75% from 1 July 2018.

About your workers

One of my workers believes their annual statement may not be correct. What do I need to do?

Each year, we provide a long service leave statement to all registered workers. If a worker queries the dates or declared wages, we ask that you check your records to ensure that the data supplied for the worker is correct. Following this, either contact us to provide the correct information or explain why there's a difference to the worker.

You can do this online by selecting add past service for a worker when you're logged in to the portal. We'll then open a retrospective return for you so that you can add service for the worker. Alternatively, you can also do this by completing the form available here or by contacting us.

If a worker contacts QLeave directly about an error on their statement, we'll advise them to speak to you. If they can't contact you, they may then lodge a complaint which we'll follow up with you and take action where required.

How do I register a new worker in the middle of a return period?

Log in to the portal and click I Want To > Add past service for a worker. Otherwise, you can contact us for help or add the worker when you complete your next return.

My worker has told me they've changed their name or contact details. How do they advise QLeave?

If a worker wants to change their name with QLeave for reasons such as marriage, divorce or change by deed poll, they should advise us in writing of the change, and submit a copy of their relevant paperwork (i.e. marriage certificate or divorce paper) as proof. The easiest way for a worker to do this is by emailing

If a worker wants to change their address, phone number or email, they can do this by logging in to the worker portal and updating their details.

I sometimes find it difficult to obtain the birth dates and addresses of my casual workers. Do I have to provide this information for every worker?

Yes. While we appreciate that some workers don't want to give their details and you may feel uncomfortable on insisting, the Contract Cleaning Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 2005 requires you to provide this information. This data is crucial to ensuring that we allocate long service leave credits to the correct worker.

If one of my workers will be retiring within the next year, do I still have to pay the long service leave levy on their wages?

Yes. Regardless of the age of the workers, or the amount of time you believe they'll be working in the industry, you must pay the levy on your workers’ ordinary wage.

I employ my son over the school holidays just to give him a bit of pocket money, do I need to include him on my employer return?

Yes. You must declare wages for all workers who work five or more days in a return period.

I only engage subcontractors, casuals, and individuals on temporary work visas. Do I need to submit an employer return for these workers?

Anyone who is engaged to perform contract cleaning work in a return period, on a casual or subcontract basis, is likely to be an eligible worker (even if they're on a temporary work visa). Therefore, you should include these workers on your return. Only new workers who work less than four days, during the return period, may be excluded from your return.

My current employees don’t expect to stay in the cleaning industry for an extended period and probably won’t be in the scheme long enough to get a long service leave entitlement. Can I exclude them from the Scheme?

No. You're required to pay the 0.75% levy on your workers’ ordinary wages even if those workers believe they may not stay in the industry long enough to benefit. Because of the portability of the scheme, members can have breaks from the industry of up to four years without having their membership cancelled.

What are service credits and how many can workers earn?

A worker will earn one service credit for each day they work in the industry. If they've performed eligible work for five or more days in the return, they will be credited for each day in the return period. Workers can earn a maximum of 365 credits in each financial year.

About penalties

How much is a penalty unit?

As at 1 July 2022, the penalty unit is $143.75.

I have received an invoice for $287.50 for failing to submit my quarterly return and levy payment on time. If I have a good reason for being late, is it possible to have the penalty waived?

If the events that delayed submission of your return and/or levy payment are strange or unusual, special circumstances may exist. You must provide your explanation in writing to QLeave. If, after considering all the available information, your circumstances are found to be special, we may waive the penalty. Please note that forgetting or being away on holidays doesn't constitute special circumstances.

I have received an invoice for $575 for failing to submit my quarterly Return and levy payment on time. Why did this happen?

Employers that have incurred penalties during the past four return periods (12 months) prior to the current return period will incur double penalties if this latest return is late and/or payment of the levy is late, i.e. not received by the due date. There's a $287.50 penalty for non-submission of the return and/or a $287.50 penalty for non-payment of the levy, incurring an additional $575 for each month the levy and payment are outstanding. Note: The $575 penalty will be added for each month the return and levy are outstanding, i.e. $1,725 per quarter.

Click here to find out more about penalties.