I want to...

Register my business with QLeave

Who needs to register?

You must register with QLeave if you're an employer in Queensland's building and construction industry. By registering with QLeave, you will meet your legislative obligations and support your workers to access their long service leave entitlements.

You're an employer if:

  • you employ eligible workers, including tradespersons, trades assistants and labourers who perform building and construction work in Queensland, OR
  • you are a sole trader, or a member of a partnership, and you employ workers on wages to do building and construction work in Queensland.

The building and construction industry is the industry of constructing, deconstructing, reconstructing, renovating, altering, demolishing, relocating, maintaining or repairing buildings and other works including structures and fixtures. It can be done both on-site and off-site. A full definition of the building and construction industry is available here.

If you'd like more information about who and what is covered by the scheme, please read the information available here.

How to register

You can register as an employer online. To get started you will need to sign up for QLeave online services and then submit an employer registration application.

Click here to register online

You need to provide the following information when you register:

  • contact details, including email, phone number and street address
  • your ABN
  • the type of building and construction work your business provides. Click here for a list of work classifications.
  • your business structure e.g. company, sole trader, trust or partnership
  • the number of workers you engage
  • the date you started engaging eligible workers
  • license number for your trade (if applicable)

Alternatively, contact services@qleave.qld.gov.au to request a PDF copy of the form. Please be aware that it may take longer for your application to be processed if you complete a hardcopy form.

What happens after you register?

We'll use the information you provide on your application to assess whether you're required to register with QLeave. This assessment will include checking the details you've provided against relevant registers, and we may contact you for more information. If you haven't provided all the required information, your application won't progress and you will need to submit a new one.

We'll let you know the outcome of your application and, if approved, you'll receive an email from us once including your QLeave employer number, information about how to keep meeting your obligations, and links to user guides and videos so you can get started using our online services.

Please note, the information collected on your application will only be used for the purpose of administering the Act and as permitted by law. You can find more information about how we protect your privacy here.

More information

Employer registration is covered under s.43 of the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991.