Steps to bulk import new workers
You can start multiple workers by downloading a new worker spreadsheet, entering the required information and uploading the completed spreadsheet to online services.
If you've previously started new workers online, you may notice that we're asking for more information about new workers than we did in the past.
This is because we're now doing more eligibility checks when workers are first registered. By doing this early, we can make sure we're not registering workers who are not eligible to claim through QLeave. This means we won't risk paying claims to ineligible workers and will be able to maintain the levy rate, so we can continue supporting the industry by paying long service leave claims well into the future.
How to terminate a worker
You can only terminate a worker while completing your annual worker service return. Click here for more information about completing the worker service return.
- Go to QLeave online services.
- Enter your email address and password and click Sign in.
- If you don’t know your password, click Forgot your password? to reset it. A verification code will be emailed to you. Click here for help resetting your password.
- Once you've logged in, you'll be taken to the online services home page. From the menu on the top of the page, click Services for business. If you only want to add one worker at a time, you can do this by selecting Add a new worker from the menu on the right hand side of the page. Click here for instructions on doing this.
- Check that you're in the current workers tab. You will be taken here by default after selecting services for business on the home page.
- Select start multiple workers.
- On the next screen, click download new worker template. This will download a spreadsheet template which you can use to add multiple new workers. Save the spreadsheet to your computer. Please save the spreadsheet with a file extension of .xls or .xlsx to ensure the file can be imported into QLeave online services once you've added details for your workers.
Note: please don't make any changes to the format of the spreadsheet (e.g. deleting or changing the order of columns). If you change the format of the spreadsheet, the file may not be accepted when you import it into online services.
Additionally, in some columns you will need to select the appropriate option from a drop down list. Please ensure you do this where required (instead of entering text) to avoid issues when you import the completed spreadsheet.
- Worker QLeave id (column A): enter the worker’s QLeave membership number (if known). Leave this field blank if you don’t know their membership number or they’re new to the industry.
- Worker name (columns B-D): only the worker’s first name and last name are required. Leave the middle name blank if the worker doesn’t have a middle name.
- Work classification (column E): select the worker’s work classification. The classifications are available by clicking the down arrow in the cell.
- Start date (column F): enter the worker’s start date as DD/MM/YYYY.
- Part time (column G): if the worker is part time select Yes. If they work full time select No.
- Employee type (column H): select from either employee or contractor.
- Employment sub type (column I): click the down arrow in the cell and select the most appropriate option.
- Employment category (columns J-L): select yes or no to tell us if the worker is engaged by a labour hire agency, performs work for a federal, state or local government, or performs work in the coal mining industry. If none of these options apply, you can also leave these fields blank.
- Employment duties (columns M-O): select yes or no to tell us if the worker’s normal duties include supervising workers, using tools of the trade as required or managerial, clerical or professional duties. If none of these options apply, you can also leave these fields blank.
- Other duties (column P): if you selected no for columns M-O, or left these columns blank, please enter the worker’s other employment duties. If you answered yes for column M, N or O, you can leave this field blank.
- Contact details (columns Q-S): only the email address and mobile number are required. Leave phone blank if the worker doesn’t have a second contact number.
- Date of birth and gender (columns T-U): Only date of birth is required. Gender can be left blank.
- Address (columns V-AA): enter the worker’s street address, suburb, city, state, country and postcode.
- Postal address (columns AB-AH): if the worker’s postal address is the same as their street address, select yes in column AB and leave the rest of the fields blank. If their postal address is different, select no in column AB and provide their postal address in columns AC-AH.
You can enter details for as many workers as you’d like in this spreadsheet.
- Once you’ve completed the spreadsheet, save it again to your computer. Go back to online services and on the same page you downloaded the spreadsheet from, click import new worker template. Browse your computer to find your completed spreadsheet and select it.
- If there’s no errors, all of your workers will appear under ready to import. The number next to this heading refers to the number of workers with no errors in the spreadsheet.
- If there’s errors for any workers, a number will appear next to the errors tab. Click errors to review these. The fields where there are errors will be highlighted in red and you may need to scroll across each column to find the errors. You can correct any errors by clicking into the relevant field and updating the details as required (you don't need to download the spreadsheet again).
Once you've fixed all errors, click validate. If there's no more errors, all of your workers will now appear in the ready for import tab.
- Check all of your worker's details are correct and if you don't need to make any further changes, click submit. If you need to change details in any of the fields, you can do this by clicking into the field and entering the correct information.
After you click submit, you'll receive confirmation on screen that your new workers have been added to your record.
You can also start workers directly within online services. Click here for instructions.