Claim back long service leave payments

Paying long service leave under the Industrial Relations Act 2016

Under the Industrial Relations Act 2016, workers who stay with the same employer for 10 or more years may be entitled to long service leave paid by their employer.

If any of your workers have been with you for 10 or more years, they have the option to take leave paid by you or receive a payment from QLeave. If you pay long service leave to a worker under the Industrial Relations Act 2016, you must notify us before they take leave. This ensures that the worker does not seek two leave payments.

Claiming reimbursement for long service leave paid to a worker

We may reimburse you for some, or all, of the payment you make to your worker. Please lodge your claim for reimbursement within three months, or up to two years, of the day you paid long service leave to your worker. We calculate the rate of payment* based on service correctly recorded with QLeave.

The worker must be registered and have an up-to-date worker service return before we can pay reimbursement to you.

Click here to apply for reimbursement online.

Find out the steps to claim reimbursement here.

Alternatively, contact us to request a paper employer claim form. Please be aware that it takes longer to process and pay claims made on a paper form.

*The maximum claim payment cap and a 38-hour working week are used to determine the rate of payment. Click here to view the current claim cap.

What you need before you claim

You must provide the correct supporting documentation when you lodge your long service leave claim. If you don't provide the necessary documentation, we won't progress your claim and you'll need to submit a new one.

1. Your bank account details

2. Documentation that shows the leave amount paid to your worker.

Before you start your claim, please make sure you have your bank account details ready and a copy of documentation that shows the leave amount paid to your worker. A list of accepted supporting documents is available in the user guide

Please note: make sure that you’ve entered the correct payment details before proceeding. If any of the details you’ve provided are incorrect, your claim may be paid into the incorrect account and you may not receive your payment.

What if your worker chooses to claim from QLeave?

If a worker chooses to claim with QLeave under the Building and Construction Industry (Portable Long Service Leave) Act 1991, you have no further liability under the Industrial Relations Act 2016 for that particular period of employment.

When you lodge a claim with QLeave, you must certify that you haven't paid long service leave to the worker for the period being claimed.