Claiming long service leave

How to make a claim

When it's time to make a claim, you’ll need to have the following information available:

  • your QLeave details
  • the type of claim you wish to make (refer to the long service leave claims page)
  • the name of your current/last employer
  • your tax file number and bank account details (claims are paid by electronic funds transfer)

When can you claim?

When you have seven years (2,555 credits) of service recorded with QLeave, you’re entitled to 6.1 weeks of long service leave paid by us. The community services industry scheme was established in January 2021, so the earliest you'll be able to claim from QLeave is January 2028.

QLeave does not replace your employer's obligation to pay long service leave. If you reach an entitlement with your employer before you reach an entitlement with QLeave, you can claim from them directly.

Minimum days per claim

For a long service claim, you must take a minimum 5 days leave at any one time.

Tax file number

All long service leave payments are assessable for income tax, so tax is deducted from your long service leave payment. When you're completing your online claim, please provide your tax file number and flag "Yes" or "No" to claiming the tax-free threshold. Your claim will be taxed at 49% if you don’t provide your tax file number.

Proof of identity for claiming

You must include a copy of your driver's licence, or other photographic identification, with your claim.


We’ll pay by electronic funds transfer (EFT) to your nominated financial institution. Please enter your bank account details on the online claim form.

Please note: Failure to supply the required information will delay the processing of your claim.